Last Updated on August 8, 2022 by TJ Daniels, Certified Personal Trainer
Our lifestyles these days are very bad for our backs and they cause lots of people to suffer from back pain and back problems.
Because most of us spend hours each day crouched over our laptops and our phones, our backs have really suffered! This is why it is very important to start including back exercises in your workout routine!
You should always take good care of your back as it is the most commonly injured body part and it can cause you a lot of pain if you don’t take proper care of it.
As well, back exercises will help complete your total body fitness routine and transform your body, your strength, and your looks to an impressive level.
This article will take you through 5 of the greatest back exercises that you need to add to your routine. And the great thing is, none of these exercises require equipment and can be done at home!
The first back exercise that should not be left off of your workout routine is the superman extension. This exercise is great for strengthening your lower back and easing any tension. Follow these steps to complete this exercise:
- Lie down on your front with your legs straight out behind you and your arms straight in front, both should be flat to the ground.
- Engage your glutes, shoulders and your back muscles to push both your legs and your arms up off the ground a few inches.
- Hold them in this position for around 30 seconds while ensuring that all your muscles are engaged.
- Repeat the exercise.
Benefits Of Superman
There are many benefits to the superman exercise. It is great at strengthening the muscle at the bottom of your spine which supports your back and spine movements.
The superman exercise is also great at supporting your posture. Superman exercises are also great at preventing injury as it strengthens your lower back which is the area that gets the most pressure whenever you lift something.
Good mornings are also known as hip hinges. In this exercise you bend your torso down, anchoring it at the hips while your back remains straight.
This exercise is great for strengthening the posterior chain in a way that is not achieved through other exercises.
Follow these steps to complete good mornings safely and effectively:
- Stand up straight and place your hands on your hips. Your feet should be planted firmly on the ground, slightly wider than your hips.
- Next, make sure that your core is engaged and fold yourself over at the torso. Lean forward in a very controlled and slow manner while your shoulders are kept in line with your hips.
- When your torso is parallel to the floor, stop and bring your body back up to a straight standing position.
- Repeat this exercise. It is recommended that you start with 3 sets of 10-15 reps.
With this exercise, there is an option to modify it if you are just starting out. You simply do the exercise while sitting down in a chair.
To do this modification, once seated in a chair, plant your feet firmly on the floor, ensuring that your core is engaged and bend forward in the way explained above, reaching a 45-degree angle, and then bring your body back up.
This exercise is great for those just starting out and can even be done while at work or while watching tv! And again, no equipment is needed other than a chair!
When doing back exercises, it is extremely important to move slowly and to use good form. You never want to make sudden moves or jerk the body as this can pinch a nerve and be very painful. Another common fault is rounding the back instead of ensuring the spine remains neutral.
Besides avoiding injury, good form will also make sure that the proper muscles are being exercised and that it’s these muscles that receive the benefit.
Benefits Of Good Mornings
Good mornings are great exercises to add to your workout routine that can be used to strengthen the glutes, hamstrings and lower back.
This will mean that you will have a stronger lower back which will reduce the risk of any lower back injury. This exercise is also great for improving your hip mobility.
Reverse Snow Angels
Reverse snow angels are great for your overall fitness. It is great for your abs and core as well as your back.
You should only do this exercise after you have been in a fitness routine for a few weeks as they can be more difficult, and you don’t want to push yourself too hard and get injured!
Follow the following steps to complete this exercise:
- Lie face down on the floor with your arms at your side. Start with your palms facing down.
- Lift your shoulders and hands off the floor a few inches. You will need to engage the muscles in your mid-back in order to do this.
- Slowly and while maintaining control, bring your arms past your shoulders until your arms meet directly above your head.
- Bring your arms back down to where they started.
- Repeat this for 3 sets of 10-12 reps.
- It is very important to ensure that your movements are controlled and defined. This will prevent injury and ensure that you’re making the most of the exercise.
Lat Pull Downs
Lat pull downs are great for the erector spinae and your lats. They are also good for your glutes and your biceps. Lat pull downs are traditionally done at the gym using the machine. However, you can do these at home as well!
Follow the following steps in order to complete lat pull downs at home:
- Lie down on your front and hold your arms straight in front of your head.
- Pull your arms down so your fists are in line with your ears. Make sure you are flexing your muscles with all your might!
- Push your arms back up so they are straight in front of you.
- Repeat this exercise for 3 sets of 10-15 reps.
- Make sure you are squeezing and engaging your muscles with every pull down. This will ensure that you are getting the most out of the exercise.
- If you want to add variety, you can grab a towel and hold it in both hands throughout the movements of the exercise. You will be amazed at what a difference a slight variation can add.
This is a classic exercise that should not be overlooked! Push-ups are great and provide your body and your back with so many benefits!
- Start with your palms pressed against the floor, but to work your back, you should put your hands wide and outside of shoulder width apart.
- Bend your elbows, allowing your chest to lower to the floor. Your elbows will go outwards when you bend your arms. When your chest reaches the ground, you should then push yourself back up and return to the starting position.
- Complete 3 sets of 10 reps.
It is important to only do what your body will allow you to do. Sometimes, it is quite difficult to do these full push-ups, and if you find it hard you can modify the exercise by doing knee push-ups.
These are exactly the same except you put your knees down on the floor and complete the exercises from your knees.
These 5 back exercises are great to complete at home to improve your fitness and tone up your muscles! Remember, the back muscles are some of the biggest and also some of the most frequently used muscles in the body, so it is important to give them the attention they deserve!
- How To Sneak A Workout In While Taking Care Of Your Baby - March 17, 2023
- How To Build Your Chest With Dumbbells [Guide] - February 9, 2023
- Can You Do Barbell Squats Every Day? [What You Need To Know] - January 14, 2023